For the lodges in the MMA meeting nights please see calendar.
Visitors are most welcome to any of the lodges in the MMA & visitors from overseas & outwith the Scottish Constitution can contact the Grand Lodge of Scotland at Freemasons' Hall, 96 George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 3DH Email:
11 -23 MORNINGSIDE DRIVE, EDINBURGH, EH10 5LZ
Category “C” Listed Building
Charles J Smith’s “Historic South Edinburgh” Description
(Copyright © Charles J Smith 1978, 1979, 1988, 2000)
(Reproduced with permission of the Licensor through PLSclear)
Morningside Drive, immediately south of Belhaven Terrace and originally named South Morningside Drive, leads to a district with a variety of fine houses. At the beginning of the south side of Morningside Drive is Dunedin Hall, now the well-appointed premises of the Lodge Dunedin. Built soon after the fueing of the Plewlands estate began in 1882, this ornate red sandstone building was originally known as Morningside Hall or simply “The Hall”. In addition to being used for social events in winter, it was also the meeting place of at least two embryonic church congregations. The pioneers of South Morningside Free Church, later built in Braid Road, first met here in 1889, while in 1893 Episcopalians from South of the Suburban Railway, out with the parish bounds of Christ Scottish Episcopalian Church at Holy Corner, held their first meeting here.
The hall later served the social needs of many Morningside organisations. For a period it was the property of the Morningside Unionist Club. In 1926, it was purchased by Lodge Dunedin, which had originally met in a warehouse in Clyde Street and later in the hall of Lodge Abbotsford at Churchill. What had been known from its establishment as Morningside Hall then came to be known as Dunedin Hall.
In the late 1970s cracks began to appear on the southern wall, due to the partial collapse of the culvert of the Comiston Burn, which passes under the building. As repairs would be too costly for Lodge Dunedin, its members called a meeting of all Lodges in Edinburgh who might be interested in forming a consortium to take over its ownership. As a result the Morningside Masonic Association (formerly the Dunedin Masonic Society) was formed, consisting of six Lodges. The building was saved and modernised. Over the years the bar area has been refurbished and the kitchen has been modernised conforming to Health and Safety standards.
Four Masonic Lodges meet on a regular basis, The Lodge of Edinburgh St Andrew No.48, Lodge Abbotsford No. 937, Lodge Dunedin Caritas No. 1316 and Lodge Royal Thistle - The Royal Scots No 1338. Lodge Dunedin Caritas was formed by the amalgamation of Lodge Dunedin No 1316 and The Watsonian Lodge No 1375.
In addition to the Lodges, the Morningside School of Dance uses the building on Wednesdays and Saturdays during school terms.